In an effort to increase digital equity awareness globally, the National Digital Inclusion Alliance and the Australian Digital Inclusion Alliance are co-organizing International Digital Inclusion Week for October 15-21, 2018.
International Digital Inclusion Week (IDIW) aims to increase awareness and commitment to digital inclusion, create opportunities for national focus, promote international engagement and learning, and act as a catalyst to build an enduring coalition of national digital inclusion alliances and international efforts to create global momentum towards a fully digitally included world. The week will include increasing awareness through social media and a global video panel of digital inclusion practitioners.
IDIW will build on the U.S. based Digital Inclusion Week (DIW). The last DIW took place May 7-11, 2018. Sixty-eight organizations hosted local events, and 539 users tweeted with the hashtag of #digitalinclusion for a reach of 3.5 million.
IDIW includes a virtual panel discussion at the beginning of the week. The panel will encourage digital inclusion efforts at international, national, and local levels by celebrating action, sharing strategies, and building partnerships to ensure no one is excluded from an increasingly digital world. Four national organizations from four different regions are selecting panelists that will represent a variety of digital inclusion activities. The panel will highlight our similarities, challenges and differences, and offers the opportunity for international information exchange.
Individuals and organizations can be part of the week by using hashtags on social media to talk about the event.
In partnership with the Australian Digital Inclusion Alliance, Good Things Foundation (UK) and All Digital(Europe), IDIW 2018 includes an online panel discussion. The four panelists represent a variety of digital inclusion activities. The panel will highlight our similarities, challenges and differences, and offers the opportunity for international information exchange. This your chance to ask questions of digital inclusion practitioners from four different countries!
Panelists and facilitators’ bios are posted here.
The webinar is free. Registration is required!
Monday October 15 @ 6:00PM EDT (UTC -4)
What Kinds of Events Do People Organize?
- Digital resource fair – bring together digital inclusion providers for a family-friendly fair that promotes opportunities to learn and raffles devices or services to participants
- Door-to-door outreach – canvass an area of the community with low rates of access to educate residents about low-cost broadband options and your organization’s services
- Device donation drive – collect and refurbish used desktops and laptops to disseminate to program participants
- One-day workshop related to a specific technology training need in your community (e.g. smartphones, cloud applications, computer basics)
- Resume rally – help people learn how to create a resume and search online for job openings
- Open house – to promote the work of your organization to the community and key stakeholders
- Internet enrollment event – partner with a low-cost internet service provider to get people signed up for affordable broadband
NDIA is proud to partner with the Australian Digital Inclusion Alliance for IDIW 2018