Website University of Illinois System
The Visiting Director for BEAD serve as the broadband equity, access, and deployment lead within the “Illinois Broadband Lab” collaboration between the University of Illinois and the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO) Office of Broadband. The individual will manage all contracts and day-to-day activity in fulfillment of requirements set forth under the Broadband Equity, Access, and Deployment (BEAD) program as administered by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, per its grant agreement with the State of Illinois.
The individual will work in close collaboration with the Associate Vice President for Economic Development and Innovation (AVP) to advance the University’s mission by assisting with the development and execution of strategic initiatives for the Office of the Vice President for Economic Development and Innovation (VPEDI) and building and managing relationships across a wide range of constituents related to broadband. The Visiting Director will work closely with the Illinois Office of Broadband and DCEO in support of their broadband initiatives. This position also will work closely with the Illinois Innovation Network (IIN). The IIN is a system of 15 university-community-industry-based hubs throughout the state that work together to drive inclusive innovation, sustainable economic development, and equitable workforce development across Illinois. The administrative agent to the IIN is VPEDI.
Additional responsibilities included:
- Serve as the broadband equity, access, and deployment lead within the “Illinois Broadband Lab” collaboration between the University of Illinois and the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO) Office of Broadband.
- Manage all contracts, as assigned, and day-to-day activity in fulfillment of requirements set forth under the Broadband Equity, Access, and Deployment (BEAD) program as administered by the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, per its grant agreement with the State of Illinois.
- Work with the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity, Office of Broadband, Illinois Innovation Network and other partners to identify resource gaps and make resources available to appropriate users.
- Assist with public research, management, and policy issues related to broadband infrastructure and K-12 learning environments.
- Conceptualize, develop, design, and maintain policy or programs to foster scientifically literate students and/or residents in Illinois.
- Participate as a science policy expert in planning and implementing programs that address broadband infrastructure as it relates digital literacy and e-learning. This may include policy development, outreach/educational activities, workshops, meetings, presentations, and other activities.
- Perform other duties as appropriate for a director.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, information technology or a field related to the position
- Five Years’ experience working with a team on project related activities
- Five years’ experience in managing broadband, digital literacy, or digital technology programs
- Strong writing skills and demonstrated experience writing for diverse audiences at all levels of an organization.
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse communities.
- Demonstrated relationship building and community engagement skills with diverse groups and communities.
- Knowledge of and ability to assess hard and soft broadband infrastructure.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Familiarity with broadband access and expansion strategies and programs
Ability to explain aspects of the Broadband Equity, Access, and
- Deployment (BEAD) program
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position.
Application Procedures & Deadline Information
For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by 6 pm on 2/2/2023 or visit https://www.hr.uillinois.edu/employment.
To apply for this job please visit uisystemoffice.csod.com.