Digital Inclusion Week 2021: Pathways to Digital Empowerment
Digital Inclusion Week is an annual campaign that recognizes local digital inclusion organizations and special events that promote digital equity across the country.
Please join us October 4-8, 2021 – this will be our biggest Digital Inclusion Week ever, with seasoned practitioners and newly launched programs hosting virtual and in-person events. DIW aims to raise awareness of solutions addressing home internet access, personal devices, and local technology training and support programs.
Here’s how it works:
- Create or find an activity in your area that builds inclusion by providing computer training, media literacy, affordable devices, or internet access to people on the wrong side of digital divides – or builds public awareness.
- Use the social media kit to raise awareness around the digital divide and the incredible work your community is doing to reach digital inclusion.
- Connect with colleagues around the country to share ideas through our mailing list.
- Use hashtags #DIW2021 and #digitalequityNOW during the week of October 4th to join the conversation and celebrate progress.
What Kinds of Activities Do People Organize?
- Internet Costs Speak Out: internet costs and speeds don’t always make sense and the best way to draw attention to inconsistencies is for people to share their speed and cost.
- Mapping Your Digital Divide: neighborhoods and communities across the nation are experiencing a digital divide. Draw attention to this in your area by posting a photo on social media displaying the divide in your zip code. Check out some mapping resources here.
- Engage Elected Officials: ask them to get involved by posting a video, photo, or a letter of support for local digital inclusion initiatives to their social media.
- Community Events:
- Device Donation Drive – collect and refurbish used desktops and laptops to disseminate to program participants.
- Resume Rally – help people learn how to create a resume and search online for job openings.
- Internet Enrollment Event – partner with a low-cost internet service provider to get people signed up for affordable broadband.
Resources to Assist in Your Event!